Music therapy, as a recognized profession, has taken the health and medical industry by storm in the last several decades. This course aims to provide an overview of how music therapy is utilized in a wide variety of settings such as schools, hospitals, mental health, hospice and palliative care, and more. Students will learn how to assess the needs of patients, and how music is utilized as a holistic alternative for addressing specific goals and objectives. Students will also explore their own relationship to music and participate in music therapy interventions through in-class experiences.
- Week 1: What is Music Therapy?
- Week 2: Applications of Music Therapy in Schools, Hospitals, and Mental Health Treatment
- Week 3: Applications of Music in Hospice and Palliative Care
- Week 4: Establishing Music Therapy Goals and Objectives
- Week 5: The Ingredients for a Successful Music Therapy Session
- Week 6: Music in Wellness, Mindfulness, and Self-Care