LINKS TO LESSON DOCUMENTS FOUND BELOW
This lesson will explore some of the musical activities that took place during the Shoah, and the ways that Jews have collectively remembered the Shoah through music.
Through this lesson, learners will understand that:
- Artistic creation did not stop during the Shoah.
- Music played many roles during the Shoah.
- Music created during the Shoah continues to play a significant role in the memorialization and remembrance of the Shoah.
- Music created during the Shoah has expanded beyond the Shoah itself to be incorporated more generally into moments of memorial and remembrance.
- Music influenced by the Shoah often holds out the promise of a better world, offering hope and/or motivating action.